History

FHBC began as a house church in Grand Rapids in the 1890s. In the early 1900s, the congregation moved into a building on College Avenue called College Avenue Gospel Hall. Around 1926 the church moved to Eastern Avenue Gospel Chapel, then in 1976 to its present location, taking the name Forest Hills Bible Chapel.

We follow the tradition of the Plymouth Brethren, who started in Plymouth, England (as well as Bristol, England and Dublin, Ireland) in the late 1820s, leaving the Church of England because of the clergy’s exclusive hold on ministry in the local church, and believing that all of God’s people are qualified by Him for ministry.